Toowoomba has been working through some challenging times, with the global COVID-19 pandemic on top of ongoing drought conditions. The stresses and challenges faced by the local community affect individuals and their businesses, so it’s good to know there are local supports.
This page provides you with information on some of the support services available in your area, whether it is for mental health, business support or help with managing adversity and building resilience.
Mental health and wellbeing support
- Lifeline Darling Downs and South West Qld – with 45 years of service in the area, Lifeline is dedicated to building strong communities and empowering people to live to their full potential. Lifeline
provides support via their mental health hub, community programs and training, and 24-hour crisis line (13 11 14).
Lifeline also runs MINDfit, a two-hour presentation designed to promote good mental health in the workplace.
- Toowoomba Regional Council – has a handy PDF to guide you to a variety of mental health supports for individuals, families, and older persons.
- Southern Queensland Rural Health
– the SQRH Health and Wellness clinic at Toowoomba provides health and wellness services to provide advice, tools and support for physical and mental health and lifestyle improvement.
- Heads Up - developed by Beyond Blue, the Heads Up
program provides mental health and wellbeing support, resources and information relevant to the workplace and small business.
- Are you Bogged Mate? - helping country blokes talk about mental health and suicide.
- Dear Mind – Your Mental Wellbeing
– The Queensland Government initiative encourages taking time for mental wellbeing and provides support for improving resilience.
- Leading Well QLD provides resources to share best practice information to create thriving workplaces, including a mentally healthy workplaces toolkit, and Building positive relationships for resilience and thriving workplaces.
- The Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce represents the interests of the business community, providing networking opportunities and events.
- Better Business Program by the Toowoomba Regional Council as well as other courses, tools and resources for small businesses in the region.
- Queensland Government Small Business Connect newsletter and COVID-19 information. This newsletter keeps you up to date with all the latest information for Queensland small businesses.
Joining a business network is a good way to connect with other business owners, share experiences, challenges and learnings, and also socialise. Toowoomba has a strong community, with many business networking groups that can work with you and your business.
- Toowoomba Business Networkers
– providing opportunities for local businesses to network, share with fellow business operators and develop business skills.
- Start Up Toowoomba – Coaching, mentoring and connecting for entrepreneurs
through a variety of events and workshops.
- The Local Business Network – Toowoomba
– business promotion, connecting people and working to optimise profitability.
- Toowoomba Referral Group – a business referral group that focuses on providing networking and business leads within a structured and positive environment.
- BNI Brisbane South West and Toowoomba
– a Business Networking and Referral Organisation providing training, structure and technology supports.
- Toowoomba Regional Council – lists the government initiatives, community drought assistance and financial support programs available to residents and businesses affected by the ongoing drought.
- Business Queensland - counselling services for drought-affected communities.
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries - drought assistance programs.
- Toowoomba and Surat Basin Enterprise – for local and current advice and information on financial assistance, general advice, and support services.
- Business Queensland pandemic risk management for business – for understanding, continuity planning, managing staff and communications for pandemic risk planning.
Mental health crisis support
Have we missed anything?
Do you know of a support service that would be useful for small business owners in Toowoomba? Please email us at [email protected] and let us know.